Sunday, October 26, 2008

BEVRAGES, NEW AND EXCITING WAYS TO MAKE BLAND FUN

Being the southern slut that I am, iced tea is what is served most at my place. Used to drink a lot of water till I saw a picture a deer peeing in a stream so now I have to boil it first. But it surprises me how many people don't know how to make 'sweet tea' and I have found an easy way to make it these days (easy is me). I use a 4 cup glass measuring cup and add 6 tea regular tea bags and just toss it into the microwave. Okay, rednecks, don't really toss it just put it in there. Set the microwave for 10 minutes and then just let it set for awhile and go check your emails or watch part of Oprah. You will need to have a gallon jug and if you are going to use the milk jug you just finished rinse it real good and then use a funnel to put the tea, sugar and water in, but not the same one that you use to put oil in the car. 1 and 1/2 cups of sugar will give you the iced tea that your mama used to make but shake or stir the mixture real good or you might get a sugar rush on the last glass.

My baby sister Debbie puts nothing else in her tea (die hard redneck girl) but I drink so much of the stuff that I like to add other stuff to it once in awhile, do you feel daring enough to stay with me? It might sound a little weird but if you try some of these ideas you might find that you really like the taste, at least for a change of pace. Kool-aid, the stuff you drank as a kid can now be used to add a different flavor to your tea. Make your favorite flavor of Kool-aid up in a jug and try adding an inch or two to your glass before adding the iced tea. My new favorite flavor is the Mango. Also, those extracts that I spoke of in the beginning can be fun too, a couple of drops of the raspberry extract will taste better than the stuff that you pay $1 for in the vending machines. If you have kids, you probably buy the grape juice in the can that calls for 3 cans of water to add to it. Again, 1-2 inches of the stuff. I know this all sounds weird but trust the old girl here.

If you are a coffee drinker, especially at night, a couple of drops of raspberry, almond or vanilla extract can be heavenly. Not for breakfast when you need a cup of kick-ass to get you going but more like relaxing and watching Wheel of Fortune. If you find that you like it, I use a cap full of extract on top of the grounds before brewing. Ever heard of Cafe Vienna, in comes in a box in the grocery store for about $4. Try putting some cinnamon on the grounds, just a couple of shakes of the tin or jar and then add sugar and cream or coffee lightener in your cup. How easy is that and you have something new to serve to your guest (assuming you keep your boots on and have friends).

Next time I'll teach you how to make: Chili and Eggs, not for the faint of heart to look at but it tastes wonderful and an hour later you can go and visit your mother-in-law. LOL
Stella

1 comment:

Beatrice said...

Cinnamon in the coffee grounds? What a novel idea! Trying it tomorrow morning, I'll let you know what I think..
Love you Auntie!