Wednesday, October 22, 2008

STELLA GOES BELOW THE BORDER

First let me clarify that, I'm talking about cooking my version of Mexican Chicken and Rice. I did make one trip across the border many years ago, I stayed drunk the whole time and have no memory of anything that happened. And while this is not truly a Mexican dish I say it is and that makes it so. I have entertained many Latino men in my time and they always ate what was put in front of them (make whatever you want out of that statement).

This is a quick and easy recipe and will only take about a half hour to prepare.
Shopping list: 1 16 ounce can of black beans; 2 cups of white or brown rice, uncooked (or a package of yellow rice if you prefer); 1 jar of salsa sauce; 1 medium red onion, diced; 1 large boneless/skinless chicken breast per person; two tablespoons of cooking oil and a 1/4 inch slice of Velveeta cheese per chicken breast.

Bring 4 cups of water to a boil, add the rice and bring to a second boil and cook for 5 minutes then turn down to low and let it cook for 20 minutes. Next pour the oil in a skillet and get it hot before adding the chicken breast (cook on medium or medium high). Tan the chicken on both sides and turn the stove to low medium and add the salsa making sure that it gets all over the chicken. Dice the onion and put to the side. When the rice is done, add the Velveeta to the chicken and let it melt (it will drip down into the salsa and that's just what you want it to do). Microwave the black beans, part of this has to be easy) and add the onion to the beans. Sloop it all onto a plate and enjoy. Just as good with iced tea as with a beer or glass of wine. YUM. Let me know how you liked it. Stella

1 comment:

Beatrice said...

Stella, you bad bad girl, you got ME cooking now! I've never heard of 'tanning' the chicken, that's a good way of putting it! Keep 'em coming (the RECIPES, Stella, the RECIPES!)